Here's what I came up with:
Pasta with Chicken and Vegetables
- 3/4 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- olive oil
- 1 -2 bags of baby spinach
- Italian seasoning
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb cooked pasta (I usually use linguine or penne)
- Saute chicken in hot olive oil until slightly browned
- Add onions, peppers, garlic and carrots, Italian Seasoning and crushed red pepper.
- Saute until onions start to appear translucent.
- Add spinach, more garlic and oil if needed. I usually add a bit of oil and spices with each new addition.
- Saute until spinach is limp.
- Stir together, add more Italian Seasoning and crushed red pepper (if you like) and cook about 5-10 minutes longer.
- Add broccoli and cover. Cook until broccoli is to desired doneness.
- Add to hot, cooked pasta.
Notes: I've also made this with chicken stock in place of the oil. Zucchini and mushrooms are also good added to this dish. I didn't include measurements for the veggies, I usually just wing it every time I make it. Once I subbed bacon for the chicken and it was really good!
If you decide not to add oil with each addition, or if it seems like there's not enough "sauce" to cover the pasta, then the following recipe may come in handy:
- 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Saute garlic in hot oil until slightly golden.
- Add red pepper flakes, saute for about 30 seconds.
- Pour over pasta and veggie mixture. Toss until evenly coated.
This dish is really good served along with a salad and garlic bread.