As an alternative to the pound cake from the bakery, Mom would often buy Sara Lee pound cakes from the freezer section of the grocery store. A favorite treat was sliced strawberries with vanilla pudding on top of a slice of Sara Lee pound cake. Mmmmm!
As an adult, I was introduced to homemade pound cakes. One of the ladies I worked with would often bring in a cake to share with us. What a great treat for a Monday morning! Seriously, I remember being on the bus on my way to work on a Monday morning, thinking to myself: "I really hope Angel brings in a pound cake today!" Angel enjoyed to cook and brought in all sorts of treats for us, but the one that sticks out in my mind the most is her pound cake.
Even after she left to move to another state, we still had her pound cake. She gave us all the recipe and occasionally someone would make it and bring it into work. No matter who made it, we still always called it Angel's Pound Cake.
Angel's Pound Cake
- 2 sticks margarine, softened
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 8 oz. Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- Cream margarine, butter, cream cheese and sugar together, well.
- Add flavoring. Blend well.
- Add eggs one at a time with 1/2 cup flour with each egg, beating well with each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared (greased and floured) tube or loaf pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
- Do not preheat oven.
- To make a marble cake, reserve one cup of batter. Add 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa. Mix well. Drop by spoonfuls onto the batter in the pan and swirl with knife.
- Angel also baked these pound cakes in coffee cans. Perfect size cake for a small group!
This cake is great when topped with this frosting:
- 1 small box instant pudding (any flavor)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 oz. cool whip
- mix ingredients well and frost cake
I'll be sharing this recipe with the following carnivals:
Be sure to check them out for great recipes!
Also, in addition to hosting Tuesdays at the Table, Cole is having another giveaway this month in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month! Click here to read more about it and don't forget to enter!