Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

~ Our Favorite Baked Beans ~ Crock Pot Recipe

Baked beans have been one of my favorite foods since I was a little kid. I remember mom "doctoring" up a can of Campbell's Pork and Beans with some ketchup and mustard before popping into the microwave.

I also remember my Gram making really thick and sweet baked beans. They were always a huge hit at family gatherings. I requested that she make them so many times, she told me how to make "her" baked beans.

Since then, I've been the person assigned to make the baked beans for our family functions. I've tried so many variations over the years and the recipe I am about to post seems to be the favorite at the moment. It's a variation of this recipe.

As with most foods I cook, I make changes to accommodate our likes and dislikes.

Here's how I make baked beans:

Our Favorite Baked Beans

Ingredients:

1 (28 oz.) can baked beans, undrained2
(15 oz.) cans butter beans, drained
2 (15 oz.) cans kidney beans, drained
1 1/4 c. brown sugar
1 cup onion, finely diced
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup and mustard combined (heavier on the ketchup)
1/4 - 1/2 c. bacon crumbles or crisp cooked bacon, crumbled

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in crock pot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.


I usually make these beans once a month. I divide them into three portions and freeze. I usually freeze them in the quart-sized conainers that Won Ton Soup comes in from Chinese take-out. But they take up too much space in my small chest freezer.

The last time I made them, I doubled the recipe, divided into 6 portions and froze flat in gallon-sized Ziplock freezer bags. They take up such little space in the freezer now!

I will be using this recipe to participate in the following carnivals this week:
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Tuesdays at the Table
Tasty Tuesday
Crock Pot Wednesday

And the October Fest Carnival of Super Foods hosted by Katie at Kitchen Stewardship on October 1st.

Check them out for more great recipes!!!

13 comments:

  1. This looks really similar to the recipe my grandma uses! SO SO good =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious!

    I'm having my first giveaway, come and have a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a GREAT!!! and EASY!!! recipe for baked beans.

    I have become a follower of your blog, come by and visit my blog and maybe do the same. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mub, I love my Gram's beans. These are somewhat similar, but I really like the variety of the mixed beans in this one and the addition of the cider vinegar.

    Ave, Thanks! I'll go and check it out!

    Geri, Thanks for being a "follower"! I'll be sure to get over to your blog! And yes, these are soooo easy!

    FYI~ Check out my other blog. Under the Big Oak Tree (In my sidebar of blogs I follow.) I have more tips and recipes listed on that blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love baked beans and the crock pot, these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, for stopping by, Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't made baked beans in a while, and these sound delicious!

    Thanks for sharing with TATT! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comment, Cole!
    I think it's time you make these beans! They are so simple! And sooooo tasty! Let me know how you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds absolutley fabby !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great bean recipe. Thanks for linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Queen B and Lisa,
    Thanks for stopping by!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The SC method keeps it so simple! I wonder if you could make it without the canned baked beans so you're totally in charge of the ingredients.

    Thank you for joining the first October Fest Carnival of Super Foods! This week’s theme is broth/stock. Hope to see you back!
    Katie

    PS - Please add the link to the carnival in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    I like the addition of vinegar. I'll have to try that next time. I love the depth it adds...not to mention the health benefits. :)

    ReplyDelete