Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Easier Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

I've been wanting to post more kitchen tips and other kitchen related topics to this blog but I've been focusing on recipes.  Since I haven't tried any new recipes lately, I thought I'd post this tip for easy grilled cheese sandwiches.

I  hate spreading butter onto bread.  Mainly because I always forget to take the butter out to soften and trying to spread the cold and hard butter on the bread tears the bread.  Sure I could soften it in the microwave, but I usually end up with an entire stick of MELTED butter.

For grilled cheese, I make it the way my Mom always made it for us.   With mayonnaise instead of butter.  It wasn't until I was in my late teens that I realized that most people used butter for their grilled cheese sandwiches. 

You've got to try it!  Instead of spreading butter onto the slices of bread, try some mayo!  I guess the oils in the mayo keeps the bread from sticking to the pan.  It still gets nice and golden brown too, just like a "regular" grilled cheese sandwich.  Joe even thinks that the mayo makes it taste creamier than the traditional way. 

Here's another tip:  For best results, use regular mayonnaise.  Don't use lite mayo or miracle whip.  The grilled cheese tends to stick when using those types. 

********Be sure to check out my other blog for a giveaway to celebrate it's 100th post!********



I'll be linking to:

15 comments:

  1. I just butter the pan and call it good. I'll have to try your mayo trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunshine, that's a good tip too! After so many years of eating it with mayo, I'm not too fond of it with butter. But still that's a super easy tip! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never even heard of this tip, I can't wait to try it. My butter sits on the counter so it is always soft, but my husband likes mayo spread on the sandwich afterwards so this would be right up his alley!
    thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat idea!! Try putting some asparagus into your sandwich...my husband grew up on that! Cheese and asparagus melted together...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christy, I've heard that butter doesn't go bad if left out on the counter. But I'm funny about that stuff. I must get it from my Grandmom. Both of us are always thinking stuff spoiled and won't eat it!

    If your husband spreads mayo on the sandwich anyway, try it this way! Save some calories from the butter/mayo combo! Be sure to let me know what you (he) thinks!


    Alison, Thanks for the Asparagus idea! That sounds yummy! I love asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have tried grilled cheese with mayo! I think we read about it on the jar or something. It was a long time ago now, but I remember it being better than we expected -- and a GREAT tip if you're out of softened butter (and don't have a microwave). :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I have never in all my years of cooking thought about using mayo instead of butter for grilled cheese! But, what a wonderful idea! I will have to try it the next time I make grilled cheese sandwiches! Thanks for posting a comment on my blog so I could find yours!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard of this before I believe my mom uses this tip thanks for sharing this tip as I had forgot about it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never heard of using mayo on grill cheese. But it sounds good. I plan on trying it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now THAT is an interesting idea. I'll have to try it and see if anyone notices the difference! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea, I'll have to try it out.
    I just put a dab of butter in the pan, works beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Alison,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog today & your sweet comment :) I got my bread machine at a thrift shop for $2 & use it constantly. Here's a link to my recipes page as I have a whole section on recipes I use successfully with my machine - look under Bread Machine http://muminbloom.blogspot.com/p/recipes.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks! I have never heard of that. I too hate the time it takes to soften the butter and spread it on each piece. I am going to give this a try. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant! I wonder why mayo isn't more widely known? I'll try it. :~D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mayo? Really? Well, I'm so intrigued I want to try it just to see what it would taste like. But...I'd eat a cold cheese sandwich with mayo, so, why not try it heated? Thanks for linking to Food on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete