Pages

Friday, January 15, 2010

Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake Cookies

We do a lot of visiting over Christmas and New Years. I planned making some Cranberry Walnut Fudge and baking a few Gooey Butter Cakes to take to the homes we were visiting.

My friend Lisa posted a recipe for Gooey Butter Cookies that I just had to try! I had all of the ingredients so I made a double batch and took a half a batch to each house for Christmas Eve/Christmas Day.

When I first saw her recipe, I immediately wondered how great a chocolate version would be! I found out on New Year's Eve, when I made a batch of each! YUM!!!!!

Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies

Ingredients:

  • chocolate cake mix
  • 1 egg
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1 stick of butter, softened
  • powdered sugar

Directions:

  • Add cake mix, egg, cream cheese and butter in a bowl. Mix until well combined.
  • Chill over night (or at least 4 hours)
  • Roll into balls to desired size.
  • Roll in powdered sugar.
  • Bake at 350* for 9-12 minutes.

I plan on making these, using Lemon cake mix for Easter.

3 comments:

  1. I just made the chocolate gooey cookies and they are incredible...I wonder if I substitute the chocolate to the french vanilla cake mix if that will work? any ideas? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the french vanilla cake mix would be a great alternative. I've tried lemon cake mix, yellow cake mix and chocolate with great success! Just over the weekend, my nieces made them using funfetti cake mix. I don't think there's any way you could ruin this super-easy recipe! Try them with the French Vanilla mix, come back and let us know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our absolute favorite is red velvet cake mix.
    Though I have tried yellow, chocolate, strawberry, and lemon too. I am going to have to try out using funfetti next. Or cherry chip might be good too. Yum! I also use a tsp of vanilla.

    ReplyDelete