Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

Rice-A-Roni Fake Out

While taking stock of my pantry, I found 3 bags of fine egg noodles.  I didn't even realize they there!  I don't use them and I didn't buy them!  Sometimes Joe does the food shopping and odd things like this end up in our pantry! 

I made chicken noodle soup the other night and included some of the fine noodles instead of the heartier noodles that I prefer.  I was shocked at the small amount that was needed from the bag!  Still had more than half a bag left and 2 more full bags in the pantry!  I'll never use them up! 

I saw a recipe on the package for Pasta Rice Pilaf.  After checking to see if I had all the ingredients, I planned this for dinner the next night! 

I am known to be product loyal with some things.  For instance, Acme's knock off of Bush's beans are awful!   Other things, I love buying the store brand in order to save some money.  Giant brand of Raisin Brand is just like Kellogg's Raisin Bran.  (Before that  discovery, I could only eat Kellogg's Raisin Bran...see, I'm product loyal.)

I was super-surpised and thrilled with this recipe!  Not only did it taste better than beef-flavored Rice-A-Roni, it was easy, made larger serving sizes and I am sure WAY cheaper!!!!  (I don't have a price break down at the moment.) 

So, here's the recipe: 

Pasta Rice Pilaf

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup uncooked long grain rice

  • 1/2 cup fine egg noodles

  • 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine

  • 2 3/4 cups water

  • 2 Tbsp. dried minced onion

  • 4 tsp. beef flavor bouillon granules

  • chopped fresh parsley, optional 
Directions:

  • In large skillet, cook rice and noodles in melted butter or margarine, stirring frequently until rice and noodles are lightly browned.

  • Add water, onion and bouillon granules.

  • Bring to boil.

  • Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes until rice and noodles are tender.

  • Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.

I served this with grilled London Broil and steamed broccoli. 

This recipe makes 4 hearty portions.  Hubby and I have big appetites and usually when a recipe serves 4, we don't have any leftover.  I had plenty of rice to put away! 

I left off the fresh  parsley, since we didn't have it, and I'm not much for garnishes when it's just the two of us for dinner. 

The recipe calls for beef bouillon, but I cannot wait to try it with chicken bouillon next time! 

Also, the recipe calls for the fine egg noodles, but I'm sure this would work great using the broken spaghetti, angel hair or vermicelli bits left at the bottom of the boxes.  Save them up and use them for this recipe!  I also think that orzo pasta would be a great match too!  We always have a 1/2 a box or so left in the pantry! 

This post is linked to Food On Fridays

2 comments:

  1. Great tip with the spaghetti, that can make this dish Gluten Free for gals like me. I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe. I love making my own foods from fresh ingredients to copy the prepared foods at the supermarket. Two thumbs up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very tasty! Even though the rice was a little underdone (my fault). It got a thumbs up from everyone but the 2 year old. I don't know if the noodles threw her off or she just wasn't in a rice mood.

    I might try this again w/some tofu.
    :)

    ReplyDelete