Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Asian-Style Pepper Steak: Take Out Fake Out

Joe picked up some London Broil the other day after seeing a really good price in the Acme sale ad.  I was trying to decide what to make using one of the packs of meat and I decided on Pepper Steak.  Instead of using my recipe, I decided to try my friend Lisa's recipe

But true to my usual form, I didn't follow her recipe completely!  Mainly, due to the fact that I didn't have all of the ingredients.  Plus, she makes her recipe in the crock pot.   I didn't have much luck using the crock pot for Pepper Steak in the past, so I used my dutch oven on the stove.  Other than that, I didn't stray from the original recipe TOO MUCH! 

You'll want to check out Lisa's recipe if you plan on using the crock pot to prepare this meal.

Here's my version of Lisa's Asian-Style Pepper Steak: 



Asian-Style Pepper Steak

Ingredients:
  • 1-2 lbs. London Broil, diced
  • A-1 Steak Sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 tsp. beef bouillon granules
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp.  sesame oil 
  • 1 Tbsp. ground ginger
  • 4 Tbsp.  Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce*
  • 2 small onions, chopped
  • 1-2 red bell peppers, chopped
Directions:
  • Marinate diced meat in A-1 Steak Sauce, overnight. 
  • Remove meat from marinade with a slotted spoon and add to hot olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven with the cayenne pepper and salt and pepper, over medium high heat to brown the meat.  
  • Mix the bouillon granules with the boiling water and add to the pot along with the the remaining ingredients. 
  • Bring to boil. 
  • Cover and reduce heat. 
  • Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes to a half hour. 
  • Add peppers and oinons, continue to simmer until veggies are tender.
  • Serve over your favorite white or brown rice. 
*I didn't realize we were out of soy sauce.  After searching for substitutions, I found an easy solution to my problem on allrecipes.com.  I found out that for a 1/2 cup of soy sauce, you can mix 4 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce with 1 Tbsp. of water.  Since I only needed 1/4 cup, I cut that in half.  I didn't miss the soy sauce at all! 

This dish was excellent!  I may never switch back to my recipe again! 

As it was cooking, I tasted the sauce to see if it was tasting like I thought it should taste.  I was so tempted to call Joe and ask him to pick up egg rolls on his way home from work.  I resisted!  But I'll be buying some frozen egg rolls from Costco or Trader Joe's to keep in the freezer just for this meal! 

I served this over white minute rice with a some steamed broccoli on the side.  I really enjoyed this Asian-inspired meal.  I think I will make this often when I crave take-out but can't fit it in the budget.  It's a very frugal meal if you manage to get a decent sale on the meat.


This post is linked to Taste the World hosted by Alison at Hospitality Haven. 
Click the button below to find more Chinese inspired meals. 

3 comments:

  1. 1 teaspoon Granules equals 1 cube. I had to look that up, I don't use granules (for some reason they add wheat to it). I love how you used the water/bouillon. I don't always have the stock to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fabulous! You should add this link to my "Taste the World" meme starting today! We're focusing on Chinese food, and this would fit well. :) http://alison.blogsome.com/2010/02/18/taste-the-world-intro/

    ReplyDelete