Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

Easy Potato Soup

I love potatoes. I'm not sure I've ever had a potato that I didn't like. Except for maybe, potatoes with cheese but even they are starting to grow on me a bit!

I love potatoes so much, that I've been known to just eat mashed potatoes for a meal when I'm home alone or in a cafeteria. McDonald's French Fries fix everything as far as I'm concerned...when I'm sick, I crave French Fries.

So, it made sense to pair up my love for potatoes with my new-found love for soup. The recipe I am posting today is a recipe that I found online last winter. I don't remember where I found it though. I've only made it once and pretty much stuck to the recipe 100%...rare for me. It's a simple recipe, which surprised me. For some reason, I thought potato soup would be more complicated.

Easy Potato Soup

Ingredients:
  • 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 2 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 2 ribs celery, sliced
  • 2 qts. water
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 Tbs. butter
  • 6 Tbs. flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 1 1/2 cup milk

Directions:

  • In a large soup pot, cook potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender. (about 20 minutes)
  • Drain, reserving liquid.
  • Set vegetable aside.
  • In same pot, saute onion in butter until soft.
  • In a bowl, mix together flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth.
  • Add flour mixture to onions.
  • Heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
  • Gently stir in the cooked vegetables.
  • Add 1 cup or more of the reserved cooking liquid, until soup is to desired consistency.
  • Cook until heated through.

YUM!

I'm guessing that this soup would be awesome with some crisp bacon crumbled into it. Or some canned or frozen corn if you want to stretch the soup a little. Topped with shredded cheese would be good too, if you like that sort of thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment