When the Chicken with 40 Garlic Cloves was finished cooking, I removed the chicken to one bowl and the potatoes, onions and some of the garlic to another bowl. I reserved those potatoes for this recipe:
Roasted Garlic and Potato Soup
- Roasted Potatoes, Onions, Garlic*
- 1 quart homemade chicken broth**
- 2 additional cups potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Place previously roasted potatoes, onions and garlic in crock-pot with chicken broth, cover and cook on high for one hour.
- Using a stick blender,*** puree the potatoes and onions to your desired consistency and texture.
- Stir in the additional potatoes along with the carrots, celery, water, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
Potatoes and onions in chicken broth.
Pureed potatoes and onions in chicken broth.
*I really love how easy it was to make this soup using the previously roasted vegetables. I added extra veggies since I planned on pureeing the roasted veggies, but still wanted a chunkier soup.
**I made homemade broth using the bones and the cooking juices from the Chicken with 40 Garlic Cloves. Store bought broth or stock can also be used.
***If you don't have a stick blender, a food processor or standard kitchen blender will work.
I really enjoyed this soup. It was very hearty and had lots of flavor. We each had two bowls along with sliced French Bread for dipping!
Even after our hearty portions, there was still about a quart of soup leftover. I put that in the fridge for leftover night (probably Saturday)!
I'll be sharing this recipe with the following blog carnivals: