Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Chicken Rice Soup ~ Easy, Fast and Frugal

Last week, I made some homemade chicken broth.  I had a quart left in the fridge that needed to get used, so I threw together a quick soup. 

I'm posting this, at the request of my friend Lisa.  Although, it's a pretty easy recipe, I thought I'd share! 



Chicken Rice Soup

Ingredients:
  • 1 quart homemade chicken broth
  • 1-2 cups water (or additional broth) *
  • 1 cup carrots, carrots
  • 1  medium onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup celery, diced
  • 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
  • 1-2 cups cooked rice
Directions:
  • bring homemade broth to a boil in soup pot on stove, medium-high heat.
  • add water (or additional broth) if needed
  • add vegetables, cover and reduce heat to low
  • simmer until vegetables are tender
  • stir in chicken and rice
  • heat through
Notes:

* I made the homemade broth (more about that in a future post) using the cooking juices and bones/carcass from a whole chicken cooked in the crock pot (recipe on my other blog).  The spices on the chicken made this a very dark, spicy broth.  I needed about 1 1/2 cups of water to dilute it enough to be a light flavored broth for a light soup. 

This soup turned out great!  It was a really quick, easy and frugal meal!  I really just cleaned out the fridge of some veggies that needed to get used and the homemade broth I had made the week before!  Joe picked up a loaf of crusty bread on his way home from work! 

There is just one small bowl left and I'm eating that for lunch today! 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by today! I've enjoyed checking your blog out...it's making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaley, thanks! I look forward to taking some time to read more of your blog. This week has been nuts with the weather...hopefully, I'll get to sit back and read some more, soon!

    ReplyDelete