I'm posting this, at the request of my friend Lisa. Although, it's a pretty easy recipe, I thought I'd share!
Chicken Rice Soup
- 1 quart homemade chicken broth
- 1-2 cups water (or additional broth) *
- 1 cup carrots, carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1-2 cups cooked rice
- bring homemade broth to a boil in soup pot on stove, medium-high heat.
- add water (or additional broth) if needed
- add vegetables, cover and reduce heat to low
- simmer until vegetables are tender
- stir in chicken and rice
- heat through
* I made the homemade broth (more about that in a future post) using the cooking juices and bones/carcass from a whole chicken cooked in the crock pot (recipe on my other blog). The spices on the chicken made this a very dark, spicy broth. I needed about 1 1/2 cups of water to dilute it enough to be a light flavored broth for a light soup.
This soup turned out great! It was a really quick, easy and frugal meal! I really just cleaned out the fridge of some veggies that needed to get used and the homemade broth I had made the week before! Joe picked up a loaf of crusty bread on his way home from work!
There is just one small bowl left and I'm eating that for lunch today!