Pages

Friday, October 9, 2009

Chicken Corn Chowder

I love love love creamed corn. As much as I'd like to, I'd never just eat creamed corn as my entire meal. That is why I like Chicken Corn Chowder so much! It's like a big bowl of creamed corn!

I make my chowder a couple of different ways depending on how much time I have and what ingredients I have at the moment the craving for it hits!

Corn Chowder

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 - 3/4 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
  • olive oil
  • 3-4 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
  • 1/2 cup onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup sweet red pepper, diced
  • 1/4 celery, chopped
  • 1/4 carrots, diced
  • 1-2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth (fat free, low sodium)
  • 1 1/2 cups potato, peeled and diced
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 Tbs. flour
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 real bacon crumbles
  • crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

Directions:

  • In a dutch oven or soup pot, saute chicken in hot oil until slightly browned.
  • Add onions, peppers, celery, carrots and sautee until onion is tender but not browned.
  • Add chicken broth and potatoes and stir.
  • Bring to boil; reduce heat.
  • Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
  • Stir in the corn and cook uncovered for another 10 minutes (or until potatoes are tender). Be sure to stir occasionally.
  • In a small bowl, combine the milk, flour, salt and pepper. Add to soup mixture. Cook until thick and bubbly, while stirring. Cook a minute or two more.
  • Add bacon crumbles and a couple of shakes of the crushed red pepper flakes.
  • Cook for another 3 minutes to heat the bacon.

Note: To make a thicker chowder, run about 1/2 of the corn through the food processor before adding to the soup.

For an even easier and quicker Corn Chowder, use some canned chicken shredded with a fork (or pulse in the food processor with half of the corn), use frozen potatoes O'brien in place of the potatoes, onions, peppers and skip the carrots and celery.

I'll be sharing this recipe on Hooked On Fridays, since lately I've been hooked on soup! Check my sidebar to find more of my soup recipes!

3 comments:

  1. my dadday always loved his corn chowder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm! You know we're having a soup and bread party tomorrow and this sounds like I might have to give it a go! :) I'm hosting a giveaway at my blog of genuine Cross Bottles valued at $175. It ends Monday, so hurry over. I think you'll love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH it sounds delicious. I have a chowder on my list of recipes to try. Has potatoes and bacon in it. Just waiting for it to cool off down here.

    ReplyDelete