When I eat ham, I tend to only enjoy it if it's a spiral cut ham from either Heavenly Ham or Honey Baked Ham. Or if it's in the form of deli meat. Even then, I'm picky about it.
I will, however, eat ham steak. And I do enjoy that! MMmmm!
In the past, Joe and I never really did anything to "celebrate" St. Patrick's Day. Well, besides wearing a green shirt to avoid pinching!
Now that we have Grace, I want to celebrate all the special occasions in little ways. You know, heart-shaped pancakes on Valentine's Day and stuff like that.
Grace is still too young to even realize that it's a special occasion and she's just starting on table food, so this year was "practice". We were out yesterday during dinner, so I put off making our St. Patty's Day dinner until tonight. I really enjoyed it and think it will be a keeper. Not only for St. Patty's Day but as another way to serve ham steak throughout the year.
Ham and Cabbage Skillet
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 3 potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 2 cups carrot, chopped
- 4 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- Mrs. Dash, paprika, black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. ham steak, diced
- Boil potatoes in a pot until tender, drain.
- In a skillet, melt butter and cook onions and carrots until onions just begin to become translucent.
- Add cabbage and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in water. This will help the cabbage cook and also deglaze the pan.
- Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Season to your liking and combine well.
- Add diced ham, heat through.
- Mix in the drained potatoes. You may want to add another Tbs. of butter.
- Cook a few minutes more.